Home Production company The production company could have prevented the rapes”

The production company could have prevented the rapes”

0

The horrific rape of eight young women last week, allegedly by a gang of illegal miners commonly known as zama-zamas, could have been avoided if
the TV production company they were on assignment for was taken over.

This was revealed by Cowboy Town Antique Flea Market owner Romy Mare who confirmed the production company used her room to film the music video before later filming some of the dump scenes. of the mine, where the eight women were accosted and raped.

The incident happened at a notorious disused mine dump in the West Village of Krugersdorp last Thursday.

This newspaper reported last week that the crew shot the first scene at a location called CowBoy Farm, however, we have now established that the scene was actually shot at a facility called Cowboy Town Antique Flea Market.

Mare said the crew arrived at his facility on July 28 where they spent three hours – between 7am and 10am – shooting a music video.

The company, REC Button Media, made the reservation the day before. The production house was previously widely known as Red Button Production.

“The lady who booked my room had already booked my room for another music video. I saw a team of people who came to shoot the video when I arrived on July 28, and once they finished filming the clip, they left our venue, but we had no idea where they were going,” Mare said.

“If we knew they were going to continue shooting their music video at the dump, we could have warned them of the dangers of going there. What happened to these women is cruel and sad.

Mare said police had already collected CCTV footage.

Several mysteries surround the production house. One of the owners seems to use two different names. One of the names is Raphael Ugochukwu Metu, while on social media he goes by the name Shawn Ray.

REC Button Media is being deregistered by the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission, according to our investigations. The man owns the company with Queen Nopopozana Lolwane, and the company was registered in 2019.

Sunday World established that the production company had filmed music videos, commercials and promotions for well-known local artists.

We tracked down numerous REC Button Media videos and discovered that the company’s Instagram account is full of music videos shot around Gauteng’s mining dumps.

Attempts to get comment from Metu and Lolwane failed as their phones had been turned off throughout the week.

Another mystery surrounding this production house is why some of their team members provided fake residential addresses to the police. A Sunday World visit to some of the addresses provided to police revealed that they do not live in the houses where they claim to reside.

Police Minister Bheki Cele hinted last week that some of the crew would be questioned and possibly arrested. He did not provide further details.

A resident who lives in West Village said last week’s gang rape was nothing new. “We’ve been living like this for seven years, where women and children are raped and houses robbed by illegal miners. Krugersdorp Police are useless as we are chased away every time we report a crime.

On Friday, West Village residents gathered and blocked the entrance to the area with burning tires and rocks in protest. “We are fed up with these people and what they are doing here is nothing but lawlessness. We cannot walk freely in our neighborhood because of these people and the police are not doing anything either. to keep our neighborhood safe. We have used private security companies to patrol our area,” said Clayton van Niekerk.

Kagiso residents unleashed their fury on Thursday as they scrambled to flush out illegal miners. Shacks believed to have belonged to illegal immigrants were also set on fire.

Police have since arrested more than 100 suspected illegal immigrants in Krugersdorp.

It is not yet clear how many of those arrested are linked to the gang rape of the eight women, but police are investigating 32 counts of rape and 22 counts of armed robbery.

Follow @SundayWorldZA on Twitter and @sundayworldza on Instagram, or like our Facebook page, Sunday World, by clicking here for the latest breaking news in South Africa. To subscribe to Sunday World, Click here.

Bongani Mdakane